Wednesday, March 7, 2012

People Addiction

Has anyone ever thought deeply about how much your life could be different without the presence of only one soul? Even if you believe with every bone in your body that this person is definitely cut out for you, without them could make such a hellafied change be it good or bad. Surely enough, I think I would put family in a different category but not so much as an addiction. When I come up with the category, I'll be sure to let you know. But in the meantime, let's talk about the people who are not family, that just so happens to play a big part in our lives.

Is it possible to obsess over the things a person can/has/will do for you? Become addicted to a "treatment" that which you receive from another human being? I use the word addiction because, I came to some random conclusion not too long ago that maybe the love or lust that we say we are feeling is actually an addiction to whatever/whoever it is that we have become so fond of. I absolutely loves me some chocolate! I love the color black! I love him! I love her! I love seafood! Do you get my picture here? LOL!! If you can crave a food; is that not a thin line being crossed into an addiction? Like smoking. I love my black and milds!! Addiction?! Absolutely! LOL!! I have this one Calvin Klein bra that I love. It's black and it hugs the girls perfectly. Do I have other bras that I could wear? Yes, plenty! But none of them love me back the way that my CK does. Addiction?! Yes! I want CK and only CK. Everyday! Get my drift?

Now that that comparison is out of the way, let's get down to the real narcotic here. A person. When building a relationship or a friendship, we meet someone, get to know someone, and you either like them or you don't. If you don't like them, you give the stink face or you try to avoid all contact with that person. Now if you do like them, you crave their presence, you like being in their atmosphere or the atmosphere that they create. This is good shit! So you do whatever you can to play your part as a friend or significant other in order to keep that person near. In hopes that they become addicted to you. When you are going through something, you get the urge to call who? When you want to go out and party, you make plans with who? And it's not because you lack another 'person' to call or hang with, but it's because you run to the person that knows just how to scratch your itch. Why not call the co-worker who constantly invites you to happy hour every single Wednesday? Or why not hang out with that other friend that you met a couple weeks ago who seemed to enjoy your company very much so? You left an impression that they liked and they want that impression again. It was good to them. It scratched their itch. lol. BUT... their impression didn't do anything for you, so you keep it moving.

People can become so wrapped up in their emotions about the specifics of another being. You have to know what you want from a person in order to create, achieve and establish any type of relationship. You love/lust or are addicted to the feeling of this gargantuan amount of happiness. You love (or are addicted to) the feeling of what we have formulated into a more professional, and maybe lightweight in meaning, word of "addiction"... love. You love (or are addicted to) being a wife/husband, but only to the person you married. You can't live without this particular person, so you go through the motions to tie the 2 of you together in union. You are addicted!! OR... you are "in love" and you can't see yourself without this particular fix. Because no one and I do mean NO ONE can scratch this itch the way that this person does.

In any case, picture the case of being broken. Cured. We all know what happens when break-ups occur. We all know what happens whenever friends get into huge arguements and are not on speaking terms. We go through withdrawals. Yes people!! This is reality!! We have our "don't-give-a-fuck" grace period and then infection sets in, LOL! We do things to try and get over the addiction. We may try to find another 'person'. Talk shit on Facebook. We may try to pick up hobbies. Stalking. Talk to someone about it, cry about it, get sick about it. It usually takes time to get over any addiction. Being as though you have to go through some type of recovery to overcome any thing that can deprive you of what is necessary within your life, then I don't see how getting over a person would be any different. And going back to my examples, it would be the same as if you were trying to stay away from the chocolate, or like me, you are just use to picking out anything that's black. Trying to focus on another color in the store would probably send me into "hyper-panic mode". It just wouldn't seem or feel right. If something happened to my CK bra, I would mourn just as if I had lost my puppy. Addictions, smh.

In the end, most of the time, we relapse. The purpose in getting rid of something or somebody is so that you can avoid the dependency that you once had or the obsession with whatever/whoever it was. It/he/she consumes you. So, if for some reason you have to continue to make presence and face what is suppose to be an extraction from your daily routine, then it would be virtually impossible for you to achieve full recovery. I'm making these points so that we can see how we fit into this category. You recognize your problem. What the addiction is and what draws you to it. At what times do you have your worst cravings? How is this addiction consuming your life? What risk factors have played a part in trying to hold on to this person? How it effects or destroys your life? Much, much self-help and reorganizing your essential habits that once kept you at a sane pace.

So. With that being said. Let's go home and practice. Until next time bloggers...

3 comments:

Jay said...

Wow! An addiction to a person could be a scary thing. If those feelings aren't shared that addiction can become and obsession. That can be frightening.

I've never found myself addicted to another person in the manner that you described. I've always been more of a loner. Sure I want to experience being in love one day, but do I want to be addicted to that person? Do I want them to be addicted to me? I don't think so.

I believe it's all about finding a healthy balance and sticking with that...at least that's my goal and preference.

Very thought provoking post.

Candi said...

You know J, when an "addiction" becomes an addiction, there is no control be it person or thing. Being in love is a very tricky event taking place. A person can find themselved so consumed in another. But the ironic part is you would never know until that "addiction" is taken away from you. You find yourself drawn back to whoever or whatever it is.

When in love... same ordeal. If it's not working, you do what you have to to make it work... to keep that fix... to make sure that it will always be available to you. Even if it is called off, there will always be something that could possibly make a person re-nig and "go back" to what they fell in love with.

Some things are beyond our control and when it get to that point... there is really nothing left to do. We can either try to overcome our addiction or find away to maintain the addiction.

Jay said...

Great explanation. You make some excellent points. Thanks for clarifying the addiction for me Candi.