Friday, January 20, 2012

Where Is The Love?

First off, I want to start off by congratulating a long time acquaintance of mine, Ashlee Altise (as the world now knows her), for going on to the next round in American Idol. Gots to love Lil Ash. She is and has always been an itty bitty person with an absolutely humongous heart, wonderful attitude, and a hustler's mentality. I have to admit, she has been working hard at her singing career for a long time. She has always been famous in our town but she definitely made an impression on the world just this past week. Can't wait to see her strutting her stuff down the red carpet! Or joy-hopping, lol.



NOW, let's get to the "hometown edition". The place is called Wilson. You wouldn't even know it existed if you looked at the map with a magnifying glass. No doubt that she received a lot of support from her family and friends but wherever there is fame and the ability to achieve something great, there is always some one or some thing in the mist that's ready to set your soul on fire. I usually stay away from newspapers and stay out of the news... some things I would just rather not know. But to arrive to work one morning with the reports that "Ashlee did not represent Wilson, NC" splattered across the front page of Wilson's homemade honky-tonk newspaper had me in a funk. So what, they listed that she was from Kinston. At this present time, that is where she lives. They may not have felt it to be necessary to report her "where from's" or "where to's", only her "right now's". Geesh! I mean really people. We should all be proud of the fact that another NC native proceeded to move along as far as she did. Congratulate her success and hope for the best along her way.

Growing up in a small town, everybody knows everybody. As if there wasn't enough grief going on the very next day about "the situation". I don't even watch American Idol, but I did tune in to see her do her thing. I hadn't even paid attention to what was listed on the TV screen. I was more ecstatic of the fact that she finally got her time to really shine and that is exactly what she did. People pay attention to the wrong things. They're trying to claim rights for something that will never belong to them. Who cares where the girl is from? Just listen to her sing! And most of the time when you sit back and look at these scenarios, it's really the people around you that makes all of the funky changes. I don't understand what the big deal is about. It's not like the county of Wilson will be getting a check cut. I don't feel that she should of had to explain herself to the newspapers or anybody for that matter. This drama occurs all due to the fact that envious bystanders decided to post on the newpaper's Facebook page the disappointment they had with her. Here we go with Facebook... so glad I'm not up there anymore. Not to mention, there are actually little back and forth bickerings in random commenting sections of people fighting for where she is from.... OMG!! Who does that?! If she wants, she can represent both Kinston and Wilson. Both towns put together still won't be as big as Raleigh, NC or any other metro area in the state of North Carolina. She could have just said that she was from NC... then what? Everybody would be mad because she didn't state what city she rep? At a time like this, she shouldn't be getting hassled about what city she is from. She should be rejoicing and savoring the unexpected delights of her fame.


The media or city fights doesn't stop there. She has to deal with the drama pertaining to her choice of attire, her hairstyle, even her choice of song... Common sense. I get it!! She did her thing! Nowadays, media looks for that pop. An eye-catcher. Someone who can and will draw you in. You have to do what you have to do to gain the attention that you need and want, to become successful in that particualar career field. Why should someone have to submit themselves to the "normal" conformity that would/should be expected from those who think they are so much better than everybody? No one expects a black person to spit the lyrics of a rock song the way that she did. For rock fans, in which I am not, you can't expect for it to sound exactly like the artist. Of course it's going to have an urban feel. Changes take place every single day by the second and people still have a hard time adjusting. I'm quite sure no one from our hometown expected to see her in such a uniform for her first appearance on TV either. And guess what? She gave everybody something to talk about whether the comments being made are good or bad. She's relevant if you like her. She's relevant if you don't like her. LMAO!!! SO, I guess the jokes on them. No matter how far she makes it on the TV show alone, she still made a hell of an impression on the entire viewing audience. You will never forget her face, her voice, or her "joy-hop".

So in today's class we learn what? Nothing, I'm sure. I just felt the need to share this with my blog community even though the direction of it is to be sent down a totally different highway. Preferrably 264 or 95, hwy 91, 117, 301. Whatever highway that brings you here, not that anyone would be visiting. LOL! But, regardless of the situation, common sense tells us all that no matter how good or how bad of an impression someone makes, there will still remain many others that feel they have more rights to judge than God does. It's a sad sad world out here. And you have to ask yourself, where is the love?

Until next time bloggers... I'll be joy-hopping with Lil Ash

No comments: