Friday, November 18, 2011

Bougie Bloggers

LMAO!!! @ myself. I swear, I have yet to gain a real audience from blogging. I love to write. I love to voice my opinion (not that it actually matters how I feel about your situation) It's fun though! This is my diary.

So, only a few months ago, I began my blogging. Stepped into a whole new line of work and I know absolutely no one that blogs and nothing about it other than it's freedom to write whatever, whenever. I had to come up with a way to learn the ropes. Of course, the best way to find out answers is to ask and so I did. I figured the connections I would make trying to find out how this whole new community work would help to build me a small rep in this field. And let me clarify: not a job, not a side hussle, just love. I went on dot-dot-dot, played around up there to see if I could get some answers. LMAO!! Well, lemme tell you... I'm going to assume that appearance is everything. I'll state later about my reasons why. Anywho, I got a response from one person who told me to explore the blog communities, find what you like, read, follow and comment. Indeed I have been taking the man's advice. I'm going to say that it would be great advice, if I felt like the communities were responding back due to the love of the art being provided by these amateur and professional writers and not due to how much gain has been accredited by one person since their journey in blogging.


Like all occupations/reputations/hobbies, you have to build your name. That's not a problem. These things also take time. That's not the problem. But what I believe the situation here is, newcomers have to be beat into the game. It's easier to send and receive friend request on FB and to follow and be followed on Twitter, and you ain't talking about shit (had to get a little ghetto right there, lol). Here, it's like different high schools in different parts of the same town. The schools on the upper east side don't talk to the ones on the west side and everyone is known for their over-achievements of success and progress, goals to be accomplished in the future and the ones that are complete. I thought we were all in this together? ooo, sorry my mistake. I haven't climaxed to where you feel I need to be. I thought that this was a different and unique art form that is slowly making it's way to the public eye. Not a cluster of different social circles or the side of town where the writers have no degrees verses the writers who have Ph.Ds. Really?!

Now let's flashback to my comment that appearance is everything. I was already well into a couple posts when I signed up for dot-dot-dot, more blogger sites, and so forth... exploring my options. My point is, I never received an answer until I posted a picture. My question is, would I have ever gotten an answer if I had not posted a picture or if I wasn't as appealing. I won't say ugly, because what some may think is ugly, others may find pretty. Off subject.


But, anyways... I continue to strive for acknowledgement. Maybe I would gain more recognition if I had a Facebook page or Twitter, however, I choose not to give those social sites the pleasure for my personal reasons. Maybe if I had more friends in my social circle, that would help out a lot too. LOL!! So much for choosing not to know people. Or maybe, just maybe I could gain some feedback after my name goes plastered on someone's billboard or business card or blogroll or magazine or newspaper, lol. Guess it doesn't take much for true followers. The only way you can gain the right to be of relevance is if someone else with a small amount of dick size says it's ok. Then everyone else follows the leader.

All of this for my love of words. The art form. How one person can build a firm foundation and structure with no materials... just words. How someone can project a sound that can draw a person in under the assurance that everything will be ok, or that everything is not ok. The whirlwinds of emotions! To describe how one feels. To describe the way something looks. The insides, the outsides, and in betweens. New words, old words, foreign words. It's almost as good as sex... to me. I love it!! I should have been an English major. Think I'll add that to my list of life goals (random).

I feel that everyone, at some point, started out at the bottom of the food chain. In the meantime, you can call me bottom-feeder. Of course you have to work your way up and gain your manhood and stand your ground. It's too many people in the world for there to be absolutely no one interested in what there is to be said by anyone. And of all those people, I feel like there are not enough readers including the bougie bloggers that sit at the top of the pyramid. So busy writing that you don't forget to read. You've reached your climax, lost the humbleness, and the love and passion for the amateurs who probably started along side of you. You can't write without reading. But that doesn't matter anymore because all that matters is you are being read. And it doesn't matter that all of your words just may be beginning to run together and sound repetitive. It doesn't matter that your "likes and/or dislikes" comments and google +1's matter more to each individual reader than those from others. People easily lose sight as to how they ended up doing what they love once the love turns into money or fame or just a big name on a computer screen.

The love is gone and it's just work. No love.

I guess that will be all for today bloggers... until next time, I'll be reading.

8 comments:

Jay said...

Very interesting post.

I'm going to be completely honest. This is my first time visiting your blog and it was because I saw your pic in the comment section on another blog and liked what I saw.

With that being said, I completely agree with what you said about appearances being everything. We all are visual and seeing an attractive person definitely adds an edge or advantage. Is it a good or bad thing? Honestly, it can go either way.

Although, I liked your picture I would never judge you or your writing based on it. I think our exterior appearance will only get us so far. Attraction isn't going to make people visit blogs, leave comments or genuine support a person. That is where interaction comes into play.

I personally enjoyed your post and I like your blog...at least what I've seen so far. I plan to swing back by and check out your content again. If you decided to check out mine that would be dope.

What I've discovered since I've been blogging is that having a support system is important. It's good to interact with other blogs, get to know one another, read each others blogs and eventually form cyber friendships. That's the approach I took and I'm happy with the results. No I don't have a mega blog with an insane following of readers and commenters, but I do have people who read and leave valuable comments...without having done it out of obligation.

I'm sure you will find an approach that works for you. In fact, my blog fam has room for one more. Perhaps you'd like to get to know us better.

Keep ya head up and keep doing what you enjoy!

Stay Blessed,

*J

http://up4dsn.wordpress.com

Candi said...

*blushing* thanks for the feedback. In response, I don't want to base me receiving feedback solely off of appearance. I don't even know if the guy only responded for the mere fact that I put the picture up but I just know that I didn't get an answer until he saw me. I will admit that I am the type that likes to be eye to eye while holding conversation and it really helps me to feel a writer if I can see them even though they are not directly talking to me. Why? I don't know... I'm a weird kind of person from time to time.

I have been trying to build these blog relationships and whatnot. I'm good at snooping through other blogrolls and "binge" reading to find what I like. I can't say that I have even been successful in the area because I went to your blog last night and loved it!! Not that I didn't like what I read with the other blogs... I love them, but there is only pick and choose who you want to respond to. No full throttle interaction or an orgy of conversations, back and forth arguements about the good shit! Y'know? I know you can't please them all but YOU had real people having real conversation! That's what I want.

Jay said...

I know what you mean. It took awhile for me to develop that. For some reason one of the hardest things for some people to do is to share their thoughts and feelings on a topic. When I first started blogging I was naive enough to believe that all I had to do was ask a question and answers would pour in. I soon realized that wasn't going to work.

In my experience I had to visit other blogs, share my thoughts, have conversations with different bloggers and a bunch of other stuff...and even then that didn't bring in the comments and views I desired. It really wasn't until I backed away from blogging, jumped into the youtube world and then returned to blogging that I realized that I couldn't chase views and comments. Now my focus has been on providing new content and interesting topics. So far the response has been far more than I could have ever expected. I give all credit to God. I think it's true what they say about having to lose something so you can learn how to truly appreciate it.

I am so thankful for you swinging by my blog and it means so much more that you enjoyed the content. I know that you will begin to develop the relationships and have the conversations that you desire. It's all about finding the right people. I believe you're going about it the right way. Take it a blog at a time. Read a little here and a little there. Join discussions and have conversations with commenters and bloggers and things will begin to transform.

I know I'll be supporting you!

Candi said...

NO!! Thank you!! I am truely honored. I was hoping that when I did this post, it would raise some eyebrows. The people counter widget doesn't serve much purpose other than to piss me off knowing somebody is reading but not saying anything LOL!!! I am truely honored that you popped my discussion cherry ;) Gives me hope for my future writings. Everyone has to start somewhere. Indeed I will continue to snoop and comment. It gets kind of lonely when you frequent sites and comment boxes but no one responds with an exception of a few.

Thank you again!! I've had the pleasure of commenting to your question of the week. A little long-winded or hyper fingers, should I say. I think you just put the fun back in blogging. Impossible possibilities, ;)aye?! Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

I can really leave a comment? Wow! Let's see how this goes....

Mother.

Candi said...

I am glad you finally figured it out LOL!!! I hope you clicked the email follow up button to see comments posted after yours or replied to

Amaya Radjani said...

Hey Candi!

Like your blog; it's great.

I started blogging for real this past January after a friend of mine asked me, "Who are you?" as it pertained to my online identity. Once that was established, I started blogging about whatever I wanted to write about. IT was difficult at first because I wasn't exactly sure what to say. But then, it started not to matter as my blog is a place where I work things out and tell stories.

I added a Live Feed gadget, which was an immense help. People read, but they don't comment. The Live Feed tells me who's reading what post, and I use it as a guide for future post topics. What I discovered is that people are reading the stories and my series about women more so than anything else.

While any of us would love to increase readership, the best thing to do is to be true to yourself and find your niche. Readers and commenters will find you. It just takes time.

Good post.

Candi said...

Thanks Amaya!! First I want to say that I am so honored that you even stopped by my little humble abode. Many, many thanks!!

I would love to ck out your sites. I went to the profile but I wasn't sure about what to click on LOL!!! Forgive me, I'm still a rookie.

I'm coming around now though. I can't believe how after all these months, this one post alone has gained so much attention. I have Up4Dsn to thank for that. I love to write... so that's 1 thing I can say I will never stop doing. Think I've found my niche, just not quite sure how to work it.