*sigh of relief* It feels good to be back. But, only for a split second. Project overload is in motion and I'm really proud of myself. A little worn out but I'm alrite and hopefully it will work out for the better. I'm not here to preach on this post today. And the title of this post was thought up after watching an episode of "Housewives of Atlanta": their trip to Africa. My first thoughts on the matter were to blog about the episode but I didn't have the time to sit down at a computer (I so need to invest in a laptop... random) And I'm glad that I didn't because since then, apparently a "Higher Power" has made me analyze this phrase a little more and incorporate it into my very own life.
To sum things up quickly, the ladies had taken a trip to Africa and they were on their way to visit an orphanage when they stopped off to a store and saw some students dancing and singing... on their lunchbreak! The first thing that got to me was, when the ladies approached the kids, a little girl greeted them by asking, "can I hug you?" *tear* The next thing that just tore a hole in my heart was when the ladies asked the kids would they like anything out of the store and one little boy said, "chicken bolgna and bread." *another tear* With that being said, actually none of the kids asked for anything that was not an everyday necessity.
Back to me. I have to admit, that I have been stressing lately about a lot of shit that has been going on in my life. I would lose myself in my thoughts and then meditate on, "walking by faith and not by sight." In the mist of the mantras, now generally speaking, people don't stop to think how much worst things could be or how it's the small things that are taken for granted everyday. What would you do without your chicken bologna and bread? If you couldn't get your hands on it? It's right there in your face but you lack the necessity to just walk in the store and purchase it. Do you go and steal it, pout about it or do you sing songs and dance to your own tune in pure happiness because your atmosphere is filled with praise and goodness? We take so many of the simple things in life for granted. We swim in irrational thoughts about what we don't have and how we can't make it without it. I won't call it "selfish" but I will call it "spoiled." Spoiled in the sense that our mind today is corrupted with material possessions, competitions and outside appearances, when there are others that find the things we have never thought twice about, so important and valuable.
I try to commit to frugal-ness. I try not to impose "brands" and "flash" onto my children. However, we are put in situations where we have easy access to just about anything that we want. The way we look at what's best for ourselves as well as our children, consists of excessive expenditures encouraged through over-the-top promotions. Do these children have breakfast in the morning's when they hop up to leave for school? Are they able to pack snacks or carry a lunch? Can the little girls dress in frilly tutus, play in mommies make-up, jewelry and shoes? Are the parents able to have a time to themselves to just enjoy one another? Are there fancy resturaunts to go and eat? Is it affordable? Are the things that WE consider affordable in their budget, as well? What would you do if you couldn't afford sanitary napkins when your cycle came on? How would you cope if you had no heat? How would you look at that person next to you if they were the less fortunate one? Had this been us, we would quickly brand ourselves as a failure. But these people hold something within themselves that we "spoiled brats" will never be able to appreciate... a pure heart and unconditional love minus the possessions or achievements. Minus the chicken bologna and bread.
Small talk with big meaning. I think I've said enough for today. Until next time bloggers...


8 comments:
How do I import a music player in my blog? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Richard, I hope you enjoyed the blog.
To add the music player, you go to your dashboard and click on the tab that says "design". Depending on the format of your actual blog page, you will see the little side bars that say widgets/gadgets. Something to that effect. Anyways, when you click on it, it gives you options as to what type of widget/gadget you would like and one of them says "Configure HTML/JavaScript"... click on that one to put in your html code for whatever playlist that you have.
Thanks for stopping by.
This is a great post. Very insightful.
You're right, a lot of us Americans take things for granted. We've been blessed with so much that we act like all we have is 'nothing'. We seem to always be chasing the lavish life, when in reality we're already living it in the eyes of millions of people around the world.
It's a challenge for us each day not to get caught up in the hype of materialism. Life has so much more to offer. Plus, it's time that we begin truly appreciating the things that God has blessed each of us with.
We could just as easily have nothing...and that could still occur in the blink of an eye...to anyone.
Once again, great post. It's time for us to open our eyes, minds and hearts. We have to appreciate what we have and not take it for granted.
Heeeyyy J,
So glad you could make it. LOL!!
Absolutly J, I agree 100%. It is way too easy for us to get lost in the hype. I tend to have to slow myself down and try to figure out, "am I working this hard to pay my bills?" or "am I working this hard so that my children don't have to worry about being teased?" smh... the shit we do.
Your comment stating...
"We could just as easily have nothing...and that could still occur in the blink of an eye...to anyone."
I don't believe anyone uderstands how true this is and how fast it can happen. It's even happened to me: one minute I'm living in a nice 3 bdroom house, big backyard, nice neighborhood... an arguement ended on a bad note and it was gone. I had to start all over.
"Walk by faith and not by sight!" LOL!!
Wow! I can't even imagine how you felt during that period. It couldn't have been an easy situation to deal with.
You last comment is what I've been trying to focus more one. Leaning on God and allowing Him to lead me. Alone I'm blind. With Him I don't have to worry about being able to see because He is my guide.
Amen J!! you took me straight to church with that one.
It was hard. But I had major support from my family. I wonder sometimes, what if I had nobody? Now that I look back on it, it was easier to deal with than I thought. Took about 6 months for me to get back on my feet. It could have been sooner but I wanted to take that extra time and money to take trips with my babies.
Nice post...your neighbor ;-)
Thanks anonymous.
LOL! my neighbor?
Post a Comment