Thursday, October 25, 2012

Bloggers Have Groupies?

I did a post a while back called Bougie Bloggers where I expressed how I felt about coming into the blogging business pretty much in the dark, but willing to get my feet wet and to except the experience head on. A little on edge because I wasn't getting as much feedback as I had hoped for; not only here in my own lil' dojo, but while commenting on other sites, as well. I think big. I don't think out the wait process or how I'm going to bear-slide before I learn to crawl through these field of words. I dreamed about an instant come-up, the overnight sensation. Hey, I'm a dreamer. What can I say? LOL! Anywho, my point is, on this quest I have found that there are a such thing as Blogger Groupies (as if bougie bloggers aren't enough) So now I feel the need to express how I feel about the usage of "likes" and "dislike" buttons along with "replies" to comments in random forums.


But first, let me bring you up to date on how I came up with this subject. I came across a post in my blogroll the other day. (I read post according to my interests in the title, but I eventually read them all either way) This particular title had caught my attention and I clicked away. I read it and, of course, I hated it. Just as I suspected. Now... a great writer will voice their opinion on a subject matter and know exactly what to expect from the particular audience they cater to (my opinion). So... given this information, sure that the blogger already knows of what arguements may lie ahead, they should be able to respond with sympathy and automatically be able to empathize with all 3 sides to whatever subject was brought to the table. Yes. 3. We are bloggers. It's all about opinions, being able to relate to the opposing team just as much as their own. And clearly what should be the strong suit, striking conversations. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I get that. And moreso entitled to the conversation that they choose to strike. We could also take it back to the bougie-ness and talk about how particular comments are bypassed for the mere fact it's not what they were expecting. BUT, we already did that.

NOW... let's get to the groupies *insert horror movie scream here*. Why must the audience that which are die-hard fans agree with everything that is being said, especially if you are the target of the conversation? And why is it that, when I voice my OPINION on the subject matter, I get thumb downed, disliked, -1'd, all because I didn't agree with their precious blogger? Excuse me for having my own voice. But if I don't agree, then dammit I don't agree. Regardless if we are speaking of a high profile blog or whether it's in the Hall of Fame for whatever reason, or even if it has a whopping couple thousand subscribers, it doesn't mean that everything the blogger write about should be agreed upon. It's how they feel about a topic (which is fine). But the point of the comments section is for the READER to voice their feelings about it. So why am I inclined to agree? I could choose to comment on just the perks I got out of a post (if any), but what justice does that do me if I don't agree with the subject matter within the post as an entirety? So, now you mean to tell me that blogger courtesy consists of if you can't say anything nice, you shouldn't say anything at all? Well I didn't curse (can you believe it), or maybe it was me using the word Negro rather than ni66a, lol!


Not that I really care, but the birds began to attack! Is it safe to call this cyber blog-bullying? And let me also inform you that this has happened on far more than 1 or 2 occassions. For instance, true story: I commented on a blog post, actually received a reply back from the blogger (a good reply about my reference of choice) and then a reply from the "bird" who felt that what I had to say was irrelevant and I was being rude towards the blogger's point. Are we really playing this game here? My comment back to her wasn't a good one but it was said in a very sophisticated manner (which actually shocked me, so I can just imagine how she felt). Ending with me being thumb downed, lol! I didn't take KissAss101, and not all bloggers write about things that we care to read about or that we necessarily agree with. Not all commenters are going to reply in a manner that everyone would like to see, but that's what builds the conversation. I'm cool with all of this, while most other bloggers would have to be cool with it too if they choose to keep blogging. Blogging isn't for someone to come in the game feeling like they are always going to be right. But I'm starting to feel like it's the groupies who can't handle a decent conversation in a simple forum to discuss one topic at hand. All because they feel some type of way about the writer.

I don't mean to bash anyone's favorite blogger. Definitely NOT a hater. I enjoy good reads just as much as I enjoy writing. And let me also state, I didn't say any names so that I or no one else will feel like I'm slandering a blog or the commenters of any particular site. I do have quite a few blogs that I frequent and the lack of luster in one particular post never curves my appetite for the blog as a whole. I may leave a comment here or there, maybe I will post the link on my Twitter (if I enjoyed it), or maybe I'll just click the "like" button and keep it moving. It just seems that these little gnats are everywhere. No matter how much you try to "shoo" them away from an unnecessary disruption of servitude to the comments section, someone feels the need to voice their opinion on YOUR thought process. Which, let me remind you, has absolutely NOTHING to do with the topic. If I wasn't referencing YOU or YOUR comment, then why are you so mad? It's not in the rule book (that I have seen) that says everyone must agree.

Until next time bloggers...

2 comments:

Jay said...

I can relate to how you feel Candi. I've witnessed this on a number of occasions. It's cool for us to side with our favorite bloggers, if we agree with what they are saying. Yet, it's totally out of bounds to attack another person because they voiced their opinion and it happened to differ from the authors. That's life. None of us see everything the same way.

I can see if the person disrespect the writer, but I still think that is between those two people. No need for goon back up. You feel me?

candi said...

Lmao @goon goon back up

I feel u completely J. Like flies at a cookout. Lol! Totally takes the fun away